Saturday, September 24, 2005

i have been deployed. and i slept in the mountains last night. i'm not sure which is more exciting. i am going to montgomery, alabama on tuesday morning. i don't know what i'll be doing there but i have an official red cross identification badge so i guess that means something huh? i know they need a lot of logistical work done so i believe i'll be helping with that first. whatever----i will go where i am most truly needed. so that is exciting. i went and spent some of mom and dad's birthday present to me (a gift cerficate to R.E.I.) on a couple pairs of miraculous smartwool socks that will keep my feet dry and non-stinky even after days of no washing. when i stop to think about it i really don't know what i did with my feet before i discovered those socks. yesterday right around traffic time nick and i decided to drive to the sierra nevadas and revel in mountain air and moonlight. it was fantastic waking up this morning to the sound of a babbling brook and sociable trees gossiping in the wind. we drank some tea, indentified some trees with my handy-dandy new tree indentification book, went on a walk and drove back through the desert to some bbq and a hot shower. a truly beautiful day. now i plan to spend the rest of the weekend building bookshelves and getting packed and ready. i am anxious to hear about all the houses that went through hurricane rita----have we lost anything? it made me feel so much better to know everyone was safe in austin during the storm. although it initially feels like a bit of a drag that i'm not going somewhere in louisiana or mississippi to help out--it is nice to know that i will have internet and phone access so we can keep open communication whilst there.
maybe i'll even devote more time to actually putting my latent writing skills to use instead of these dreadfully utilitarian entries i've been posting lately. all apologies.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

girls, everyone needs to check in with the mama.

4:16 PM

 
Blogger nicholas said...

nick is not going. he is diligently learning details about photosynthesis you never want to hear about.

i miss you all.

9:57 PM

 
Blogger Ryan said...

I'm so proud of you brandyn!! You're doing a darn good thing!

12:51 AM

 
Blogger kyle said...

I'm mixing a show right now. There's lots of reverb washing over me as I type this.
I'm proud of you too.
Drink an RC and have a moonpie for me.

7:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home